Thursday, January 14, 2010

Irrational Fears

Seaweed has always been an irrational fear of mine, it's strange because I love the ocean and I even have a salt water fish tank in my room. The fear started when I was scuba diving for the first time in Florida and the guide wanted to take us through a kelp forest. I ended up getting stuck in the middle of the kelp and loosing my dive team. That is when the panic attack came, I blacked out under water and the next thing I remember was sitting on the boat throwing up from being sea sick. Thus my fear of seaweed. I have gone scuba diving and snorkeling since this experience but I will not even go close to the seaweed. I almost have myself convinced that I will get stuck in the seaweed and perhaps die. Years later I have a saltwater fish tank in my room where I have sea plants and I won't even stick my hand close to them for no good reason. I'm hoping that in the near future I can get over this irrational fear and be scared of something more worthwhile like bears or herpes...or even worse bears with herpes.

4 comments:

  1. As much as you think seaweed is an irrational fear you have a completely rational reason for it! Blacking out underwater... throwing up.. I think anyone would be scarred in someway from that. But I'm glad it hasn't stopped you from doing what you love. And I can see the love for the ocean and water in your blog layout. The light background and soft shades in the colorful flowers make your blog really appealing to the eye. And the picture in this post goes with the story but still meshes with the rest of the colors in the blog, without taking to much attention away from the top. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the layout you have. The light purples and grays in the body give the white a softer touch. The picture in your post is well-taken, which I think helps with the aesthetics of your blog.

    Your fear of seaweed was interesting, but the post seemed to be a little short. Why do you think you're afraid of seaweed instead of water? It seems like having a panic attack under water would give you a fear of anything to do with the water or the ocean. I know I wouldn't go anywhere near the ocean again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure to add paragraph breaks that allow your reader that moment to linger over what you are saying. Picture works well to draw us into this post. I think your length works well in that you highlight the key events that lead us to understand your fear. Morgan asks an interesting question - why seaweed and not water? I know that I hate the feel of seaweed, but I'm don't think I'm afraid of it.

    ReplyDelete